Ironing Board Cover
Okay, here's another one of those 'must do' projects. While I was making the fat quarter valance for my kitchen and taking pictures as I went along, I realized that my ironing board cover looked quite disgusting:
eBay auction for about half of what it would have cost at the fabric store (including the shipping) and draped it over the ironing board for the pictures. Looked much nicer. Then I remembered why I bid on that particular piece of fabric in the first place...it was to make a cover for my crappy looking ironing board.
Since I've already pulled, packaged and shipped my eBay sales for the day (and instead of cleaning house, cooking or gardening), I think I will finally turn that fabric into an ironing board cover.
Clear all junk off ironing board.
Ironed the old cover and used it as a template by pinning the old cover on top of the new fabric. Cut out the new cover. My ironing board cover needed a piece of fabric 58" long by 17" wide.
I sewed a loose casting stitch around the edge of the cover with the tension string within the stitches (being careful not to sew through the string). I used the string from the old cover since it was still quite strong.
Alternate casings: Sew bias tape around the edge, or sew a hem all the way around, leaving an opening at the center back of the cover to pull and tie the string.
Before I actually secured the new cover to the ironing board I cut a piece of The Warm Company's Insul-Bright the size and shape of the ironing board, then put the cover on top of it. Since Insul-Bright reflects heat back to the source, it will make ironing quicker and give crisper seams.
This was the most fun I've had sewing in a long time. Probably because it was a quick and easy project (I'm always up for 'instant gratification'), or possibly because I learned a new technique (sewing the tension string inside the overcast stitch).